Sunday, September 26, 2010

Sweet Home Alabama

Ain't it the truth though?

I'm loving this project. It is so exciting every day. I have never been happier with the team and the overall things that are happening on every level down here. It's absolutely incredible!

The work we do is pretty monotanous(sp??). We literally wipe off cans of food with bleach rags, or fill boxes with food and stack them on pallets for shipment. That's about it. BUT... we get to work together as a team, and that's never been more fun. The team is SO F'd in the head, that you cannot help but laugh. We've started this thing where every time you put something in a box, or make a move of any sort really, you have to make a noise. So when you drop a bad of rice in the box, you have to have a customized noise... "beep, boop, orgh, gah!, unff" is close to what our area of the warehouse sounds like. Even when I'm in a bad mood (which happens like 2 days a round), the team doesn't care, and just goes on being ridiculous, and expects that I join in on it. If I don't, I'm ousted. The other day I had one of these days, and Chelsea decided we were going to make hats. So she grabbed these big paper bags, placed them our heads and I ended up taping them to everyone's heads.. ya know, custom fit. So we were making robot noises with 3 foot high paper bags on our heads... truly a site to see. The employees were coming by, confused, laughing, taking pictures, but mostly shaking their heads and avoiding us. And then at the end of the day they are shocked at how many pallets of food we got through.. no joke! They can't believe how much we're getting done!

Monday nights are up in the air as to what will happen. I usually grocery shop.
Tuesday and Wednesdays are low key because that is when the GED classes are. So I have to be the chauffer. I don't mind it.
Thursdays is beach night. We get home, grab food (someone prepares our meal the night before so we can grab it and go after work). We get to the beach, do a team workout (which looks like it will be YOGA from now on), and then swim quick, and hit the pavillion for Taco Dinner (it's capitalized because it's a THING... like the VMA's or something), and then we follow with a team meeting before packing up and heading home for the night.
Fridays are up in the air, too. This past Friday we went to the mall, I bought nothing.. that was easier than I thought it'd be. Then we went to Wal Mart and played the Wal Mart game. I don't feel like explaining it, but it was a blast.
Saturday's are unpredictable - usually low key and relaxing. and in the evening, Jamie and I head to the local Mexican restaurant for $1.25 margaritas! MmmMmmmMmmmm
Sunday is beach day. It starts off with breakfast made by our housing sponsor every sunday at 8:30. Then I bike to the beach (20 miles) and then everyone else meets me there for the day. It is cloudy today, so not sure if it will happen, but I think it might.

The team is not just getting along down here, but enjoying each other's company. What used to annoy and frustrate us about each other, is now a strong point and something we connect with each other on. We are conversational, try to help each other out, and instead of getting pissed and walking away from each other, we pull each other aside and converse. I don't... I mean, I'm done with that. ha - they know what I'm thinking without having to say it... so now I just hit them. It works.

I leave for California on Friday... 9 days there! Definitely ready for it... haven't seen Zac in 7 weeks. Almost 8. Get a feel for what my life will be like post-Americorps. We both need this. It's crazy... it really is... to actually care for someone. I NEVER thought Iwould be in this position. Sorry... don't puke, I'm done.

All right... gotta check this bike beach trip forecast, see if I can't make it happen.

Live every day. Do what feels right... don't allow yourself to be constrained... you can't find happiness if you do.

No comments:

Post a Comment