Monday, September 13, 2010

Time slipped by... down in Alabama!

Well, we wrapped up things in Baltimore... we spent our last working day on the farm hosting a community day for local kids... we had 3 children wander onto the farm, and 6 or 7 college students come volunteer because they had forgotten sunglasses 2 weeks earlier and felt bad coming back to just get the glasses... so they hung around for a couple of hours.

The following day we went to work with another team, my former Corps Members team, Wolf 2. They work at City Neighbors... this is an organization started by parents of Baltimore students. They felt that the public schools were not providing a strong enough educational experience, so they created City Neighbors charter schools. Each year the school grows, and with that comesa lot of work. So we spen the day (sunday) helping them get ready for school that was supposed to start on that Monday. However, they didn't have desks, lights, dry-erase boards, a cafeteria.... ETC, so needless to say, school was delayed. No 2 hour delay, a 7 day delay... that's what I would have been talkinga bout. It was really cool to work with them. A fun team, and it feels good to help with worthwhile projects. Plus we got to check out the view of the city from the schools roof...and climb on the ropes in the gym. Solid day. Oh, and frontflips into the cardboard recycling dumpsters... no, we aren't allowed to do that in uniform...;)

The following day, things got BETTER. Wolf 2 joined us at a pool party. This was AWESOME. One of our sponsors friends (?) heard of us and the work we did and invited us to his house for a pool party. Diving board, basketall hoop in pool, lots of food (and ICE CREAM), water guns... you name it. Spent about 4 hours there. I mastered the art of front AND backflips. Had never tried either, so it was quite an accomplishment. I was like a 2 year old that just learned where the dog food dish was.. you couldn't keep me off that diving board. We had a legitimate REALLY good day.

Back to campus we went. We spent 2 days in transition, or 3, who cares, and then left for Fall Break. I lucked out BIG TIME. One of the STL's on campus has a condo on Lake Erie. I was invited. 4 of us drove up Thursday and spent 4 days on the lake. It was awesome. I did nothing. I didn't go venture into town to explore (except to go to Fazoli's once.. where the breadsticks have 103 calories... Lynn?). I didn't talk to anyone on the phone. I barely talked to those I was with. I read 2 books, chilled online, took naps, drank a bit, sunbathed a bit... the whole thing of relaxation. His parents took us out on the boat once, grilled out.. just an overall excellentw eekend.

Nothing too exciting happened back at campus. We prepared for 4th round down in Alabama. But since we didn't need to bring tools or anything, and because my team kicks ass, we had nothing that was necessary to get done. So I went about 36 hours without seeing them, and barely talking to them. That is literally unheard of, especially during transition. So proud of these guys... it's sounds parental to say... but .. well, what else can I say.

One day after one of the trainings, feeling a bit frustrated that I was keeping things from the team, we circled up in the field outside the building we live in. I told them that I didn't want to make a big deal out of it, but that I wanted to be open and honest with them and felt that I was hiding something from them. SO, I told them about Zac... it was awesome. They giggled a bit, but mostly were like "Ok, cool" and then preceded to ask questions about our relationship. I feel much more comfortable with them now.

I spent one day down in DC working things out for a CM trip down there in November. It was a really long day, with some hiccups, but it turned out to be pretty beneficial. Also got to go out to dinner with most of the Badger TL's, so that was nice... such fucking awesome group of people. SO much fun... some things will be missed come Nov. 23rd.

I also talked with my Region Director about becoming a Unit Leader next spring/summer... promising conversation, so I'm excited for next spring to get here... not too fast, but sooner than later. It's a great opportunity, and I know I'd really enjoy the accomplishments that come with it.

Anyhow, now we are in Alabama. We had a nice, cozy little road trip down here, and LOVE IT. Had our first day of work today. Spent Friday and Saturday nights at the beach. Went to Mobile on Saturday, so now we have 3 bikes. On Sunday I biked to and from the beach (40 miles r/t), and spent the day there with the team.

We work in a canned food facility, sorting and packing food for the families affected by the oil spill.. mostly. It's pretty cool work.. .more info on that to come. But we work at our pace with great people.

So far.. things are just great. And I found a GED program for two of my CM's, so the one who is in MD flys down on Wed to rejoin our team. Couldn''t be happier about that. Things are really coming together this last round.... I'm excited.

So much more to come... lata ya'll

No comments:

Post a Comment